Proctored Final Exam is Available

As many of you saw in the newsletter, we're introducing a proctored final exam for this course to enable secure validation of in-course performance. You can register for it at: http://pearsonvue.com/udacity/. The cost of the exam is $89.

The exam contains 31 multiple choice questions and two programming questions and has a time limit of 75 minutes. The programming questions will be manually evaluated in cases of borderline performance.

asked 24 Aug '12, 11:17

Adam%20Sherwin's gravatar image

Adam Sherwin ♦♦
18.4k2183126

accept rate: 28%

Hello Adam,

do you see a possibility that certified exams will be awarded by universities?

(24 Aug '12, 17:37)

Michael Hupp...

Michael%20Huppertz's gravatar image

We don't have anything we can announce yet. It's possible that an individual could use the exam result as the basis for petitioning an institution for credit but you should check with the institution in question. If we can help in the process, please contact us as certification@udacity.com.

(24 Aug '12, 19:33)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

9 Answers:

@Staff: Will there be proctored exams for other courses than CS101 in the near future?

link

answered 21 Dec '12, 05:59

Josef%20Kr%C3%A4uter's gravatar image

Josef Kräuter
4.9k1538

I was wondering the same thing. Considering that this exam started 6 months after the course, now would be the time that exams for other courses should start to become available.

(21 Dec '12, 07:24)

elssar

elssar's gravatar image

So is it computer marked as standard? Is it a paper exam? Also is it similar to the online exam?

link

answered 11 Nov '12, 10:33

William%20Dover's gravatar image

William Dover
1.5k211

edited 11 Nov '12, 10:35

This is Muvaffak GOZAYDIN devoted to online learning for the last 17 years .
1300 colleges in the USA have been working online so badly nobody trust online education .
ONLINE is for millions , at least 100.000 students per course during a 5 year period in order to be feasible .
UDACITY realised that + they have the business mind .

One fantastic project UDACITY can do :
1.- You have already Colorado State Uni + University of Frieburg + Uni Of Salzburg who accepted your certificates toward their degree programs .
If you assume one student takes 10 courses per year, 1 course from UDACITY means 10 % saving from the cost of the college , 2 courses mean 20 % savings.

2.- So please contact with 6200 colleges in the USA to market your courses at only $ 10 per course.
Let the local college make the final exams and evalutions according to the questions and tests you would have prepared . There is no need pearson to pay $ 111 per exams . You do not need them . Then local college would be sure about the result of the exam and evalution .
As I said above a local college would save 10 % per course accepting UDACITY courses as transferred credits. You have examples in front of you, Even from Europe , that means better referans .
3.- There are roughly 20 million college students in the USA ( assume that is all full timers ) They take 200 million courses per year if you provide only 1 % that means 1 million courses .
Think about it

3.-

link

answered 24 Sep '12, 06:27

Muvaffak%20GOZAYDIN's gravatar image

Muvaffak GOZ...

Tweet from Sebastian Thrun (yesterday):

We might have some news concerning college credit for CS101. Stay tuned.

I'm really looking forward to this announcement :-)

link

answered 31 Aug '12, 05:46

Josef Kräuter
4.9k1538

Here it is: http://chronicle.com/article/A-First-for-Udacity-Transfer/134162/

Before anyone takes the exam because of this, it's worth checking with CSU to understand the terms surrounding the transfer.

(06 Sep '12, 19:11)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

$89? OUCH! :(

Edit:
To elaborate...

Say it is some 25 Udacity courses to a CS equivalent degree. That would come to $2225. (I'm assuming all courses cost the same) What if I were to only take exams for the final 3XX and 4XX level courses to save costs? Wouldn't that show I have the knowledge of the lower level courses? Would I be required to take the lower level courses as prerequisites?

Sorry If I sound impatient, I'd just like to be able plan ahead.

Yes, still, $2225 is still much much cheaper than going to a brick and mortar college for a full degree!

link

answered 24 Aug '12, 11:22

Yog's gravatar image

Yog

edited 24 Aug '12, 11:45

The fee for an AP exam (high school class that can carry college credit for a top score on the exam) is $87.

The cost of taking a course at even the cheapest community college will be a few hundred dollars.

The cost of taking an intro to CS course at a University where your professor will have the teaching expertise of Professor Dave Evans is in the thousands of dollars.

(24 Aug '12, 11:36)

BTM-2

BTM-2's gravatar image

@Yog,

We don't know that level of detail on how a degree-equivalent would work. I can't imagine we'd require intro courses if higher-level ones are completed. Regular universities typically let students place out of intro CS. That said, there could be a total number of courses requirement. This is all hypothetical since we haven't designed that yet or even said we're offering it!

Regarding cost, we're also working on a less expensive online secure exam. We'll have more details on that soon.

(24 Aug '12, 12:34)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

@Yog - On what did you base your assumption that 25 Udacity courses = an undergraduate degree?
This topic was discussed in http://forums.udacity.com/cs101/questions/16542/how-many-courses-to-reach-a-degree and I argued it would take more like 150 Udacity courses (which, if you wanted to take the optional certification, would then cost around $13,000 - still a lot cheaper than a degree from a conventional university...)

(25 Aug '12, 16:30)

Alastair Ait...

Alastair%20Aitchison's gravatar image

The material covered in a Udacity courses is at least half of that covered in a traditional lecture course which lasts approximately twice as long. Since we don't currently offer this, I can't commit to any number but I can say fairly confidently that a hypothetical Udacity degree won't require 150 courses.

(26 Aug '12, 02:36)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

@Adam Sherwin - because we're talking hypothetically you can say pretty much any number you want but, if I was a teacher marking your comment, I'd deduct points for you not showing your working...

I argued that you'd need to sit 150 Udacity courses to get the equivalent amount of teaching time as you would in an undergraduate degree (around 1,000 hours). If there's any data to support your claim that students learn four times as much information from a Udacity video as they do from a face-to-face lecture, please share it ;)

(26 Aug '12, 05:16)

Alastair Ait...

Alastair%20Aitchison's gravatar image

Apologies for omitting my work. If I shared it, it would suggest what I believe the number might be which I can't very well do given the diamonds next to my name. Readers might actually believe it means something.

As for why I believe contact hours aren't a good measure: Learning is a function of time in lecture, time reading texts, time solving problems, and time doing projects. I'd argue the coefficient on the first is quite low given the number of students I know who either routinely skip lectures or spend most of their time in lecture visting web sites, texting,etc. Of course maybe that's why in the US, we need 1500 hours of lecture :)

(26 Aug '12, 17:59)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

The programming questions will be manually evaluated in cases of borderline performance.

@AdamSherwin: Does this mean that there will be no grades, just "passed" or "not passed"? Or what exactly did you mean by "borderline performance"?

link

answered 25 Aug '12, 04:00

Josef Kräuter
4.9k1538

We'll tell you your raw score but the grade will be pass/fail.

(26 Aug '12, 02:31)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

I just enrolled for the exam and was rather surprised to see that the price of 89$ doesn't include value added tax...in Germany, the final price is about 89 Euro = 111 Dollar.
It still seems to be a pretty fair price to me, but I strongly recommend Udacity to mention in their adds that there is an additional tax payment...some people might get angry because of the extra charge.

link

answered 24 Aug '12, 14:25

Josef Kräuter
4.9k1538

edited 24 Aug '12, 14:26

Sorry for the shock. Thank you for letting us know.

(24 Aug '12, 14:40)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

Hi JosefK,

what do you expect from the payed certificate?. Also coming from Germany I'm curious, till now I only saw an announcement from a Austrian University regarding credit awards for CS.

Regarding the reputation business wide it might highly dependent how popular Udacity became.

(24 Aug '12, 17:21)

Michael Hupp...

Michael%20Huppertz's gravatar image

Honestly, I don't expect too much from it in the short term. As you said, Udacity still has to build up a reputation before HR departments will accept their certificates. However, they can only build up a reputation if students are willing to do the exams and to present them to future employers. Therefore, I'd like to support Udacity in their efforts by enrolling for the exam.

Besides, I always wanted to re-watch the CS101 videos and to do the exercises again, but until now I didn't have the intrinsic motivation to do so :-)

(25 Aug '12, 03:56)

Josef Kräuter

what will happen to the certificate which you give here for free????

please explain more

link

answered 24 Aug '12, 14:18

shahin%20shahkarami's gravatar image

shahin shahk...

edited 24 Aug '12, 14:22

The free certificates will remain available and free

(24 Aug '12, 14:39)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

when the exam would be ?

link

answered 24 Aug '12, 11:35

Maziar's gravatar image

Maziar
7.6k755

You can schedule it at any time that's convenient for you at a local test center.

(24 Aug '12, 11:38)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

tnx @Adam and I have another questions that those 2 programming questions are handwriting or we can check them by computer ?

and what the multiple choice questions are about ? there are general questions, I mean about for example variables or programming languages or there are specially about search engines ?

I'm not a native English and I have some problems in understanding questions and at home my father help me but in the exam centers there is anyone who could help me about these weaknesses ?

tnx a lot

(24 Aug '12, 11:45)

Maziar

Maziar's gravatar image

You won't have access to a Python interpreter. They'll be typed but can't be checked. That's why they will be evaluated by humans if needed and your score will be based principally (or entirely) off of your multiple choice score.

The multiple choice questions are about CS concepts and Python. There's nothing specific to search engines though many of the concepts you used to build the search engine are tested. There is a fair bit that is specific to Python so make sure you're fairly familiar with it.

(24 Aug '12, 12:05)

Adam Sherwin ♦♦

Your answer
Question text:

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags

×30,793
×9,101
×124

Asked: 24 Aug '12, 11:17

Seen: 3,538 times

Last updated: 21 Dec '12, 07:24