Any free book for Python?

Hi classmates,

Does anyone know a good python free book for consulting?

Regards.

asked 22 Feb '12, 05:58

Manuel%20Doncel%20Martos's gravatar image

Manuel Donce...

accept rate: 50%

edited 23 Mar '12, 10:46

Alan%20Ho's gravatar image

Alan Ho
11.4k53056

The official website is the best resource for learning Python, it has a nice doc and lots of example.

(24 Feb '12, 12:31)

Saad Taame

Saad%20Taame's gravatar image

10 Answers:

Learn Python the Hard way is free, if you read it from web.

Dive Into Python is a free Python book for experienced programmers in variety of formats (PDF, HTML, DOC, TXT, XML...)

Google's Python Class is a free class for people with a little bit of programming experience who want to learn Python. The class includes written materials, lecture videos, and lots of code exercises to practice Python coding. These materials are used within Google to introduce Python to people who have just a little programming experience.

link

answered 22 Feb '12, 06:13

Gundega's gravatar image

Gundega ♦♦
46.7k70181318

It depends what you need. "DIve Into Python" is available online as html and pdf, or can be purchased in print. It is a great, practical resource but assumes you are not new to programming. If you need a general introduction, you may need something else.

The Python page has a list of Introductory Books, which includes some free resources.

Hello, Python is a Python book specifically for new programmers, but is not free.

link

answered 22 Feb '12, 06:06

Tennessee%20Leeuwenburg's gravatar image

Tennessee Le...
3.7k112865

edited 22 Feb '12, 06:11

For all your free programming book needs: Programming, Motherfucker.
(It's the name of the website, what can I do?)
Though I haven't used it myself yet, I've heard "Learn Python the Hard Way" recommended a lot in the past.

link

answered 22 Feb '12, 09:51

Marcus%20Ke%C3%9Fler-1's gravatar image

Marcus Keßler-1

"(It's the name of the website, what can I do?)"

Well, you could have modified the link text as you control that, but it's mildly amusing and probably less of a shock when you get to the actual page. ;-)

(24 Feb '12, 12:48)

robrambusch

robrambusch's gravatar image

The website is from Zed Shaw. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zed_Shaw

Zed is known for intentionally provocative titles.

(23 Mar '12, 10:37)

William Rutiser

William%20Rutiser's gravatar image

you can check this thread on stackover flow

List of freely available programming books

and this:

30 free programming ebooks

link

answered 23 Feb '12, 00:07

Hsin-Hsiang%20Huang's gravatar image

Hsin-Hsiang ...

Do not forget about the official Python tutorial

link

answered 25 Feb '12, 06:37

Kirill%20Palamartchouk's gravatar image

Kirill Palam...

edited 02 Mar '12, 16:51

There is a lot of good online free material.

The course provides a few good links in the "Prerequisites" tab on this page.

Admitting you have some previous programming experience this link should get you off to a good start.

Those aren't free books but they are free online available content that you should check out, otherwise a google search for some PDFs should help you out.

link

answered 22 Feb '12, 06:02

Aaron's gravatar image

Aaron
1.0k41023

There is also "Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs" that John Denero translated into Python last year.

link

This answer is marked "community wiki".

answered 23 Feb '12, 04:10

fortranista's gravatar image

fortranista

edited 24 Feb '12, 05:50

Does anyone know why my answer is not visible? It is fine in the preview.

(23 Feb '12, 04:15)

fortranista

I have this problem too in one of my answers I taught that since I've intergated a link it has to be moderated (to keep the forums spam free) but No, there is a problem in the forums, and we should inform them to fix that !

(23 Feb '12, 05:09)

Haroun

Haroun's gravatar image

Well it shows up now, so perhaps it was caught by a spam filter and then moderated up ( someone also edited it to hide the URL that I pasted into the link dialog - so perhaps that was it.)

(23 Feb '12, 15:51)

fortranista

If a post contains a link that is not entered via the "insert URL" button, post (or comment) appears blank. That is a known bug. Current solution, if the user him/herself does not fix it, is for higher karma users to change the post to wiki and then edit.

Anything that looks like a link will cause this behaviour, so when posting links, use the insert link button instead and point the link to a simple word or sentence.

(23 Feb '12, 15:54)

Gundega ♦♦

Gundega's gravatar image

Thanks @Gundega. I can now post links successfully. From now on, I must remember not to make link addresses visible.

(24 Feb '12, 05:48)

fortranista

Hi Haroun, :)

you may like to join the facebook group called "Python Boot Camp for Udacity CS 373", it is especially for students at Udacity who are new to Python!

There are quite a few members already (more than three hundred), and there are also some more experienced people who can answer questions plus one of the Udacity TAs is there as well.

The group also has made a document listing many many python resources, including many of those already mentioned in this forum thread.

So, to Haroun and anyone reading this, come along and join, it's at the following link:

Python Boot Camp for Udacity CS 373

:) :) :)

link

answered 23 Feb '12, 14:44

Wendy%20Langer's gravatar image

Wendy Langer
2.3k61335

edited 23 Feb '12, 14:47

I would recommend "Building Skills in Python - A Programmer's Introduction to Python":

And as well Udacity CS101 course :)

link

answered 23 Mar '12, 13:29

Oleksandr%20Lavrushchenko's gravatar image

Oleksandr La...

I recently found interactivepython.org ,a great compilation of online interactive books, meaning you work out problems and examples in the browser, kinda like Udacity.Right now, it has three online books:
How to think like a computer scientist- a more comprehensive look at python's features and about programming in general.
http://interactivepython.org/courselib/static/thinkcspy/index.html

Everyday Python blog- a series of posts that showcase Python for solving everyday problems such as generating efficient passwords, encryption, swarming ,etc. Fun stuff...
http://interactivepython.org/courselib/static/everyday/index.html

Problem Solving with Algorithms and Data Structures: is pretty much what it says. Important for anyone who aims to become a programmer. It's one of the few books I've found that uses python to teach these concepts
http://interactivepython.org/courselib/static/pythonds/index.html

link

answered 30 Mar '13, 11:00

Siddarth%20Jayamoorthy's gravatar image

Siddarth Jay...

Your answer
Question text:

Markdown Basics

• *italic* or _italic_
  • **bold** or __bold__
  • link:[text](http://url.com/ "Title")
  • image?![alt text](/path/img.jpg "Title")
  • numbered list: 1. Foo 2. Bar
  • to add a line break simply add two spaces to where you would like the new line to be.
  • basic HTML tags are also supported

Tags

×7,472
×2,214
×106
×57

Asked: 22 Feb '12, 05:58

Seen: 1,641 times

Last updated: 30 Mar '13, 11:00